Maiden's tower

November 21, 2016  •  Leave a Comment

 

The Maiden’s Tower is located 150-200 meters off the shore of the Salacak district in Üsküdar. Although it is not definite as to when the Maiden’s Tower was built, the tower’s architectural style is said by some sources to be from around 340 BCE.

Previous names of the Maiden’s Tower were Damalis and Leandros. Damalis is the name of the wife of the king of Athens,Kharis. When Damalis died, she was buried on the shore, and the name Damalis was given to the Tower. It was also known during Byzantine times as “arcla” which means “a little castle.”

After the conquest of Istanbul by the Ottoman Turks, the tower was pulled down and a wooden tower was constructed in its place. The wooden tower was destroyed by a fire in 1719. It was rebuilt from stone once again by the head architect of the city, Nevşehirli Damat İbrahim Paşa. The cone-capped part of the tower was taken away and a kiosk fitted with glass replaced it. A lead-covered dome was later added to the kiosk. Rakım Efendi, a famous calligrapher, added an inscription with Sultan Mahmut II’s  signature on marble and placed it above tower’s door. A lantern was added to the tower in 1857, and in 1920, the tower’s light was a converted into an automatic lighting system.

 

untitled-4899.jpguntitled-4899.jpgMaiden's tower untitled-4899.jpguntitled-4899.jpgMaiden's tower untitled-4899.jpguntitled-4899.jpgMaiden's tower untitled-4899.jpguntitled-4899.jpgMaiden's tower


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...
Subscribe
RSS
Archive
January February March April May June July August September October November (10) December
January February March April May June July August September October November December